Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Our Family Christmas Traditions #4

We have several Christmas Traditions in our family.  One of them is to watch several holiday movies or television shows.  It just isn't Christmas without them!

1.  The Little Drummer Boy (1968).  This is a favorite from my childhood and we still love to watch the story of Aaron and his simple gift to the Christ Child.



2.  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964).  This may be my very favorite Christmas special.  I still tear up when it is over--Rudolph is over till next year!  Yes, we do own the DVD but for some reason I have to watch it on CBS.  I have several figurines that adorn my hutch at Christmas.




3.  Elf (2003).  We love this movie!  We didn't see this movie at the theater when it was originally released (why?) but we surely love to watch it every year. Buddy is a human raised by Papa Elf who finds out he isn't an elf.  Hilarity ensues ( I have always wanted to say that).  Just the other day, Ali and I said, "Bye, Buddy.  Hope you find your dad".  If you've seen the movie, you know what I am talking about.  
 

4.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  This refers to both the animated television show (1966) and the Jim Carrey movie (2000).  Both hold a place in our family traditions.  Animated Grinch with Boris Karloff narrating?  Sure!  The Grinch (Jim Carrey) wearing a kilt?  Of course!



5.  Home Alone (1990) and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992).  I remember when our family went to see the original movie at the theater.  I laughed so hard that I cried--really.  The Wet Bandits were as sturdy as the Coyote in a Road Runner cartoon!  Never leave an 8 year old home alone.  The second movie was just as much fun and both have poignant moments...sniff.



6.  The Christmas Box (1995).  I happened across this television movie when it aired originally and LOVED it!  This story of a proper, wealthy widow who hires a young family to assist her with daily chores still brings me to tears when they discover the reason for her weekly errand.  The book of the same name by Richard Paul Evans is a great holiday read.



7.  The Christmas Shoes (2002).  We seem to be drawn to movies that are tear-jerkers.  The book of the same name inspired a song and this made for TV movie.  A young boy, a terminally ill mother, and Rob Lowe--need I say more?




8.  The Snowman (1982).  While this isn't specifically a Christmas movie, it does involve a snowman.  The Snowman comes to life and takes his boy on a night of adventures, filled with dance, flying snowmen (snowmen fly?), and many other snowmen and snowgirls.  Not recommended for those who have a phobia of snowmen.  Original book written by Raymond Briggs; my youngest son loved this movie when he was small.  I just found out today there is a website!




These are just my opinions, even though I am not a professional movie critic.  Our Family loves Christmas traditions and this is another of our traditions.  Please check out a few more:  The Other WisemanFamily Gag Gifts, and Christmas Pajamas.

Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I remember The Little Drummer Boy and Rudolph! What lovely Christmas films. A couple of these were new to me, I need to check them out. Thank you for sharing and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party community. I hope you are enjoying a safe and happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips