Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake

Happy October!  How I love this month!  Halloween!  Crisp, cool weather!  Apple cider!  Pumpkins!  Trick or Treating!  Halloween (yeah, I did already mention that)!

As a young mother (this was a few years ago) I was always on the look out for simple yet delicious recipes.  I came across this amazing recipe in Parents magazine in the October 1985 issue (yikes!  Pretty sure some of you readers weren't even thought of then).  Anyway, I changed the recipe up a bit, mostly the spices--I don't always have all on hand.


This recipe is a must during the holidays at our home, beginning in October.  It keeps well and we even believe it tastes better the next day after baking!  

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
**You could also use pumpkin pie spice if you don't have the other spices**
4 eggs, lightly beaten (I use liquid pasteurized)
1 can (16 oz.) canned pumpkin (NOT pie mix)
1 cup salad oil (vegetable)
One 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional--1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices.  Add eggs, pumpkin, oil and mix by hand or electric mixer set at medium-mix till well blended.  By hand, stir in chocolate chips (and nuts if desired).  Pour into well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan. 
Bake for one hour and 15 minutes or till wooden pick inserted in middle comes out clean.  **Judge your oven temp-- my cake is usually done in less than an hour**

Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes in pan, then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Enjoy with a cold glass of milk--just a suggestion.


Yes, it is delicious!!
 

OUR RECIPE WAS FEATURED AT





Thanks for visiting!



                                                            


12 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long standing joke in my family that I complain about there not being enough chocolate at Thanksgiving. This takes care of that! Featuring when my link party opens up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea of adding the chocolate chips! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Pumpkin and chocolate together! Yum! Thank you for sharing at Embracing Home and Family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donna for sharing you cake with us at Farm Fresh Tuesdays Blog Hop! Your cake is one of my features this week! Be sure to stop by to see your feature and to say hi!
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Melissa | Little Frugal Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! What a delicious idea! Thanks for sharing at the what's for dinner party. I hope you're enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I bet it would be wonderful with the pecans. Pinning! :) (visiting from ducksnarow's Wonderful Wednesday) --and Staci, my daughter is a senior at BYU Provo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pumpkin everything! I need to make this ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds absolutely scrumptious! Thanks for sharing SSPS, hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love chocolate and pumpkin together! It's my fave for fall! Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Turn About! I'll be featuring your post this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips