Sunday, July 10, 2016

Banana Cake with Fast Fudge Frosting






It has been many years since my husband and I married, just months after we graduated high school.  One of the best things about getting married was gifts!  Lol, as an 18 year old newlywed, I loved opening the gifts which lovingly contributed to the start of our new life together.  One gift I still have and use (even in this age of Pinterest) is a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  It is well-worn and well-used and obviously I plan on keeping it.  Just see for yourself:



One of my favorite recipes from this book is for Banana Cake.  Sometimes I would just tire of making banana bread with overly-ripe bananas, you know? This recipe makes one sweet dessert!  I made it today for Sunday dinner and with a couple of my kids visiting, it did not last long!


Banana Cake

In 2/3 cup milk, pour 2 teaspoons lemon juice, set aside.
In mixing bowl, add 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1 2/3 cup sugar, 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt.  Add 2/3 cup shortening, the sour milk, and 2/3 cup mashed banana (I used two large bananas).  On low speed or by hand, mix till all is dampened, then beat on high for 2 minutes.
Add 2 eggs (I used 1/2 cup pasteurized liquid egg) and beat 2 minutes longer.  Stir in 2/3 cup chopped walnuts if desired (I didn't).  
Bake at 350 degrees in a 9" x 13" pan for 30--35 minutes (grease and flour the pans first).  Check center of cake with butter knife or toothpick to check  that the center is done.  Allow to cool slightly.

Fast Fudge Frosting
(My mother-in-law's recipe)


In medium-sized pot, melt one stick butter.  While melting, add 3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder,  6 tablespoons milk and bring all to boil.  When boil is reached add one package of powdered (confectioners sugar) sugar and stir.  I place mine in my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl after boiling and mix on high for a minute or so to mix the sugar well and all lumps are gone.
Pour this frosting over the Banana Cake while the frosting is still warm.

Serve with a cold glass of milk, if desired.  This cake will not last long!

Thanks for visiting today!





1 comment:

  1. I've had my Better Homes and Garden cookbook for nearly 40 years. It too is well worn.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips